Senaste nytt

JAL - God modell för hur man kan rädda SAS

JacobGBG

Medlem
Senaste numret av The Economist (som man för övrigt kan prenumerera 1 år på och få 2500 EB poäng för) har en mycket intressant artikel på hur JAL gått från sorgebarn till att ha en av de bästa operating profits i industrin.

Japanese Airlines: From bloated to floated | The Economist

Ju mer jag läste denna artikel så inser jag hur väl detta är något som SAS skulle behöva. Idag skyfflar man in samma subventioner i nödlån varje år, något som skulle kunna nyttjas långt bättre i en rekonstruktion.

In many ways, the turnaround highlights the pros and cons of government intervention. On the positive side, the airline’s return to profitability has been stunning. JAL was one of those blue-blooded Japanese firms that put prestige far above profit: before its bankruptcy in 2010 the company once owned the world’s biggest fleet of jumbo jets, many of which flew half-empty.

It has shed all its jumbos since then, slashed its number of routes, reduced staff by a third, persuaded its unionised pilots and staff to take big pay cuts, and slashed its pension payouts by up to half. As a consequence, the latest results show its operating profit margin has surged to 17%, from negative territory in 2008. That is higher than some of the most profit-hungry low-cost carriers, such as Ryanair (see chart). It has made JAL, for a while at least, one of the world’s most profitable airlines.

The IPO, the biggest in the world since the $16 billion flotation in May of Facebook, a social-networking site, will raise almost double the ¥350 billion that ETIC [Japansk statlig fond] injected into JAL for its 96.5% stake in 2010.

Dr. Miles

Expert
Jag är inte speciellt insatt i JALs rekonstruktion, men som det står i artikeln att JAL sålde sina hela B747 flotta och miskade avskrivningskostnader rejält.
Idag är värdet av ANAs flotta 750 miljärder JPY och JALs är 370 miljärder JPY(båda är för bokföringsår 2012). Alltså nästan hälften av ANAs.

Nu ryktas det att ANA behöver göra samma sak som JAL...

Toppen