Senaste nytt

Forskningsrön: Maten tappar smak ju högre upp den intas

agehall

Medlem
Helt korrekt. Det är därför man måste anpassa flygplansmat (och dryck) så att man fortfarande känner smaken när man är på 10000m höjd.

Btw, är det någon mer än jag som tyckte att SAS nya cocktails smakade bättre på marken än i luften?

Tjaeng

Medlem
Tycker att artikeln är rätt värdelös, inget som presenteras där är ju ny kunskap. Och så misslyckas DN med att förklara kausalitet mellan flyghöjden och smaksinnet. Avståndet mellan planet och jorden är helt irrelevant, det är kabintrycket (utöver luftfuktigheten) som avgör. Smaksinnet försämras på samma sätt som uppe i luften om man sätter en testperson i en tryckkammare för att simulera kabintryck på cruise altitude. Och det här med oljud från motorerna då, som också påverkar sinnesintrycket. Och att upplevelsen ev. kan påverkas av att erratisk ljussättning och tidszonhopp pajar dygnsrytmen.

Flygplansmat

Kan det vara av intresse att ha en tråd angående mat som serveras
högt upp i det blå? Jag vet att matfrågan kommer upp i olika
resereportage.

Heston Blumenthal (3 * i GM) hade ett program för BBC om BA
för något år sedan där han förklarade smakskillnaderna på
landbacken respektive 10.000 meters höjd.

Kom på följande artikel (Har inte översatt):

The taste of airline food is not rocket science. It?s just science.
Travelers who long for the so-called glory days of air travel often remember the quality of the service and the tasty meals on board. But was the taste merely enhanced by the experience of attentive service at 35,000 feet, or was there more to it?

It seems that airline food over the decades has been something either sorely missed as part of the flying experience, or the target of many jokes regarding the packaging or taste of in-flight food. Whether one flew in a premium cabin or in economy class could also have influenced one's fondness or disdain for such meals. But science shows that our perceptions of how food actually tastes once we are airborne changes dramatically.

Several studies, including one done by German airline Lufthansa, have shown that humidity and altitude affect how food flavors are perceived by airline passengers. Inside the aircraft cabin, humidity levels are typically low at altitude. The high altitude also dulls many senses that passengers rely on at ground level to make accurate culinary assessments. For instance, food tastes blander to passengers in flight by as much as 30 percent. In addition, the cabin pressure often diminishes a passenger's sense of smell, a key factor in assessing the taste of a meal. The in-cabin ambience also plays a part. The constant drone of aircraft engines also distracts the senses away from the qualities of the meal. Airlines do take notice and some changes they make might please you more than others.

The newest aircraft such as the Airbus A380 and Boeing 787 offer higher in-flight humidity levels and cabin pressures that are set to mimic lower altitudes. They are also much quieter aircraft compared to their older counterparts. Airlines also have their kitchens adjust the seasoning up a few notches so that at ground level, you meal may taste saltier or sweeter and definitely more heavily seasoned.

Getting the formula just right is an on-going science when it comes to airline food. Consider the fact that meals have to be prepared and packaged hours before a flight departs. The meals have to stand up to the packaging, shipment and in-flight reheating too. Aircraft do not use microwave ovens and the limited space does not allow for full-blown meal preparation like in a restaurant. Add to this the effect that the in-cabin pressure and humidity have on taste buds and you wonder how passengers been able to enjoy good meals in an airplane at all. And yes, there are some of you reading this now wondering: "what airline meal?"

Last edited:
Toppen